Founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts, Culture Trip is a highly ambitious and fast growing, global tech/media startup with offices in London, New York and Tel Aviv and a vast global contributor network of writers, videographers, photographers and illustrators around the world. The company was recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, the start-up received a seed round of $2M by top media/tech investor in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20M Series A in summer 2016. Since then, the company has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output and built initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016 it has grown to more than 120 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV. The company sees itself as a tech company at its core with media and creative work as its output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers, and illustrators.
Within the last 6 months, the company has experienced triple digit growth across its social media accounts, now with more than 4 million followers. Its Facebook account is now ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 10 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only 6 months ago) and more than 500k people have installed our app. We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional based in our London office to remotely recruit and manage a group of photographers in various cities and countries (hubs) across the EMEA region. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of locals and visitors experience their cities. Your aim will be to help build up our resources of digital image assets for our content teams.
You should be able to communicate and collaborate with the writers, Commissioning Editors, Video Commissioners, and Illustration Commissioners in your regional content team as well as the Photo Commissioners in other regional content teams. The ability to brainstorm, ideate, create and execute content plans with your team and work quickly to mobilise around key events, trends and news is crucial.
You should be a confident and extremely diligent person with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes. You should always operate with scale in mind, establishing robust yet flexible processes to maximise assets and ensure systems can grow quickly and under pressure. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player. We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech.
Starting date: ASAP
- Directly manage a team of in-house photo commissioners, editors and researchers
- Oversee the recruitment and management of a roster of freelance photographers (mainly amateur and semi-professional) across the world
- Creatively apply a data-driven approach to develop a format-specific commissioning plan in line with our overall content strategy and execute accordingly
- Working with the wide content team, identify existing articles that would benefit from original photography and strategically commission them to freelancers
- Brainstorm ideas for photography-led content and bring these to life
- Work with the wider content team focused on your region, as well as Photo Commissioners in other teams to come up with format and series ideas, as well as plans to cover key events and trends in EMEA
- You will need to evaluate and revise processes under pressing deadlines
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least 5 years’ experience in producing and coordinating photography for editorial
- At least 2 years’ managerial experience in a similar role in media and/or publishing
- Superb management, organizational and people skills are an absolute must
- Previous community and/or remote management experience is a strong asset
- Strong understanding of copyright, content licensing laws and IP rights associated with digital assets
- Outstanding knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong eye for compelling visuals and ideas for content across a selection of locations and interests
- Confidence interacting with writers, photographers and potential partners, both in person and over the phone or Skype -
- Experience in the negotiating and securing of assets from multiple sources including photographers, videographers, agencies, and other sources such as Instagram and Flickr
- An in-depth knowledge of locations in EMEA and out-of-the-box thinking to cover these locations in an editorially creative way
- Excellent knowledge of and experience working with a variety of visual formats
- Experience in art direction would be beneficial
- Aptitude for web analytics is desirable, including experience with Google Analytics or other related software