We are looking for a Lead UX Designer who can see the possibility in every opportunity – from large transformational projects on big budgets to the small incremental quick wins that will provide millions of our customers with immediate improvements. Together with our design team you will help to develop long term vision along with the strategy for the future of design in Tesco.
As a Lead UX designer, you will be seeking and solving customer problems, pushing the boundaries of design whilst contributing to creation of best practices and maintaining consistent experience across all of Tesco products and services. You will be strategic yet hands-on, comfortable in fast moving organization, excited to collaborate, and focused squarely on making positive impact on our customers.
We are looking for someone who can leverage experience in retail and utilise its potential, nurturing and developing great creative talent, design and innovation to help build and grow the creative design function at Tesco. You must be resourceful, strategic, conceptual, organized, and collaborative. You embrace challenges and new methods of thinking.
With genuine appetite for complex information, you will possess level of expertise in research and technical implementation as well as a passion and energy for design and visual communication of your ideas. Insights and data is what drives our team and you will use it to empower your decisions to support and enhance the lives of people when coupled with a clear understanding of their evolving needs. You’re no stranger to web technologies and using these for creating in-browser prototypes. Optimisation tools will be your way of pushing the needle against your objectives and KPI’s.
- Represent the “User Experience” translate customer requirements into defined specifications and inspire the Engineering team to develop the right product delivering value to our customers and our business.
- Use multiple sources of data as a research process to define what site’s primary objectives are and who are the primary customers for each of the objectives
- Coordinate and conduct usability tests, card sorting exercises, stakeholder interviews and user polling to help inform and evaluate design.
- Work with feature development teams to make sure that the workflow reflects the customer’s needs and ensure consistency among features.
- Develop expert-level knowledge of competitive and complementary products and bring new ideas to the team.
- Work with multidisciplinary teams across the business to Identify core customer missions, create user journeys and experiences that let our customers use our products seamlessly.
- In addition, work across the company’s multi-platform sites: and support experiences developed based on responsive design principles while contributing in development of our design system.
- Clearly present various stages of design development to business owners, team members and other stakeholders.
- This role will best suit an individual who embraces unique skillsets of each team member and seeks team effort over individual achievements, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
Key Skills and Experience
You’ll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Expertise in research, conceptual design, prototyping, detailed design, user testing, and implementation.
- Solid understanding of front-end, back-end, and the software development life cycle would be a great advantage (no coding required).
- Expertise in creating quick sketches, paper prototypes and translating them to fully functional prototypes that are used throughout our design process to validate your solutions against customer needs while ensuring your solutions are technically feasible.
- Experience with data analytics and optimization tools such as Omniture, Test & Target, optimizely would be desirable, but not essential.
- Improve research, design, and development processes to gain efficiency, remove obstacles, and simplify problems.
- Work in partnership with Product Managers, Researchers and Engineering to align design vision and activities with our business goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Interaction Design, Computer Interaction, Behavioral Psychology or other related field.
- 5+ years of experience.