Role location: London
Who are we:
What if we could create materials that respond to our individual needs and helped us to live better lives? For example, clothing that can think for itself, bandages that could tell us when they need to be changed or cars that change colour at the flick of a switch?
T H E U N S E E N is an innovation, product development and technology licensing company that develops inks, coatings and compounds that allow us to visualise the unseen world of data around us. Our strategy is 20% disruptive innovation and brand building; 80% partnering with corporate clients to undertake truly transformational R&D/prototyping projects.
Founded by Alchemist, Lauren Bowker, Royal College of Arts graduate, TEDx fellow, one of Creative Review’s top 50 UK creative leaders in 2016 and recently named by WIRED as one of the most influential females changing the world in 2017.
THEUNSEEN are offering a Printed Textile Work Placement opportunity. The applicant will be a printed textile Student or equivalent with an understanding of all things colour, who wants to work directly with Lauren on truly innovative and game-changing R&D projects, primarily in the fashion textile industry but also across a wide range of exciting industries.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with the Creative Director
- Conduct screen-printing of samples on various materials
- Transfer physical artwork into digital files ready to be made into screens
- Learn to mix bespoke formulations, with guidance from the Creative Director
- Investigate and source appropriate raw materials and textiles
- Co-manage, co-ordinate and operate our online e-commerce platform (“The Unseen Emporium” running social media and marketing and online orders//queries.)
- Conduct trend analysis and reporting (i.e. mood boards, or specific company research), working with software tools such as Adobe, Microsoft PowerPoint and physically in our studio
- Contribute across all areas of the studio to ensure a pleasant and productive work setting
- Prepare the screen printing table and facilities
- Conduct screen printing for sample work
- Mix recipes under direction of Creative Director
- Research, investigate, and source appropriate materials and ingredients
- Manage, co-ordinate and operate our online e-commerce platform
- General studio duties such as errands and tidying
- A working knowledge of printed textiles.
- An understanding of screen printing procedures
- An understanding of how to use the heat press and print facilities
- An open and willing personality
- Adobe Suite experience, in particular PhotoShop and Illustrator
- Confidence to work independently at times, and willing to ask questions when something is unclear
- Excellent organisation, prioritisation and project management skills
- Innovative thinker and a desire to design and create working prototypes
- Strong interpersonal skills and a can-do attitude
- Ability to work within interdisciplinary teams
- Good presentation and communication skills
- Able to self-initiate tasks rather than waiting to be instructed
What you will learn:
- Applicant will learn how to bespoke mix specific colour palettes to client recommendations
- Be educated in the cross discipline area of Science and design
- How to run and promote an e-commerce platform
- How to work within a multidisciplinary team of scientists and designers
- Have a chance to practice and perfect screen printing techniques
- Gain an understanding of unique effect pigments
- Learn how to project plan and deliver to deadlines
Application: Apply with a CV, examples of your work and cover letter.
Job Type: Internship
Job Type: Full-time